Monday 30 July 2007

The real life behind 'The Holiday'

Christmassy-feel-good film 'The Holiday' featuring Cam, Kate,
Jack and Jude, filmed in Surrey / LA.
Picture post-card Surrey - Kate Winslet's cottage - who is
a journalist on those mysterious 'Carrie Bradshaw' wages
LA babe Cam does a house swap to the UK and ends
up straight away in Kate's bed - could it get any cosier!?
Apparently so! Look you have to be a small English woman to get in that tub.

The real Surrey vs Hollywood Surrey
I absolutely adored this film, it was a complete fantasy about what LA and London/English living is like. It takes two of my fav actresses out there today, Cameron Diaz and Kate Winslet, and sets them up as newly single and in desperate need to escape their exes for a 'holiday'. The two just happen to find each other on the net, agree to swap their homes for Christmas, and well, we just sit back and enjoy the unfolding Hollywood drama. Cameron Diaz ends up in deepest Surrey - filmed in parts of Goldaming and Shere - and Kate Winslet in LA. It is really fun watching them adapt to their new lifestyles and struggle with their new homes. Look above at Cameron decked in hat and scarf, her sunny LA bones freezing to death in Kate's oldy worldy cottage, she resorts to taking numerous long soaks in some sort of tin tub. I bet the set-dresser had good time on this film, it looks so pretty, and I can just see the brief for Kate's house - shabby-bohemian-chic- everything says cosy ! Plus she has wonderful neighbours, a lovely local pub and Jude Law just hanging about.  My friend and I explored the town of Shere ( a month back ) and around Surrey yesterday - you can certainly recognise parts of the film. Apparently the rural idyll of Kate's was built especially for film, then torn down. I was quite sad to read this, just goes to show that even with all the lovely properties in Surrey, they are just not 'picture-perfect' enough for 'Hollywood'.

Would someone swap their LA Mansion for my room in London?
Now, I am not sure if this is on the back of the film, but there is a real-life UK-USA house-swap. The 'visitbritain' site tells Americans that perhaps you can find your 'own charming cottage' in England with a property swap like in the movie 'Holiday' . So I started thinking perhaps some fab rich American woman would like to swap with my characterful flat-share in London for her dreamy US home. Of course she wouldn't dupe me back and I end up in Missouri with a bunch of Mormons . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.