Monday 21 July 2008

TWO Great Women Pics: 'Juno' and 'I Could Never be Your Woman'

Michelle: 'But I'm a 40-something!'
Guy: 'Hello Cat-woman!'
I watched these two movies back to back, which was interesting viewing, starting with the teenage comedy-drama Juno. Okay so Juno is 16 and pregnant and plans to give her baby to a woman who is desperate for her own. I liked Juno for having so much to say for herself and interests, and I missed being 16 and wondering Who am I? and just having a bunch of loves, films, music, and that youthful enthusiasm. All Jennifer Garner's character was interested in was the serious business of being a Mum. Would Juno end up like that? When Jennifer's character says 'I always knew I'd be a Mum', it sounded kind of creepy, and I really sided more with being Juno. The film for me made me think; at different life stages, you might for for different things, but I hope the core of you stays the same. I couldn't imagine my identity just being 'Mum'.

Michelle Pfieffer stars in a straight to DVD cougar comedy, I Could Never be your Woman, is still so beautiful, that it's hard to buy into the premise that she is a 40-something who is 'passed it'. When her character is pursued by a 29 year old, Pfieffer is so down on herself and says things like 'but youth outranks age each time' and fights the attraction to the guy. She has a 13 year old daughter (played by the young girl from Atonement) who is very good in it. The rest of the cast is like a who's who of British comedy; Graham Norton, Smack the Pony girls, Peep Show guys & League of Gentlemen and Gareth from Office. They keep the laughs coming in and it's directed by Amy Heckerling, who did Clueless. I thought the film was delightful and sparkly, so I would say it is worth renting, as Pfieffer is really good in it, and they actually have a mother-daughter story that seems real and works well. It definitely wants women in their 40's to feel good about themselves, and had some really laugh out loud moments. I guess it went straight to DVD because of trouble marketing it to cinema audience - perhaps hey should have promoted on the back of Sex and the City?

No comments: