Monday 18 April 2011

Power of the Convention: Comic-Con

The Red Sonja re-make - the buzz of Comic-Con 2008
Getting my Comic-Con On
I was day-dreaming earlier about being my alter-ego Red Sonja, it was treacherous, there was a Barbarian man to contend with, a killer lesbian queen to ward off and all with just a chain-mail bikini and sword to my name. Then I came back to earth and wondered; what did happen to that Red Sonja remake? Back at Comic-Con 2008, some Hollywood Studio announced they were making the film, starring Rose McGowan and directed by my guru Robert Rodriguez, and I was very excited. They released some stunning images, created a lot of talk and then there was.... nothing. I have since learned that the film has been shelved for various reasons, including copy-right infringements, finance issues and quite significantly a huge bust up between former lovers McGowan and Rodriguez.

I have always been fascinated with Comic-Con (I have now a real reason to attend, I am intent on this film being made) and how it got to be such a huge deal. New Media Strategies posts here about its rise, and the power of a fan at a present-day gathering. Back in 1970, the convention started out as a small gathering in San Diego for comic-enthusiasts, who would occasionally get to meet the creators behind their favorite stories and get a tantalizing sneak-peak at new characters and titles. Over 30 years later, it has transformed into one of the biggest events in the entertainment calendar. It's now huge multi-media showcase, promoting everything from niche anime to big Blockbusters films and Comic-Con fans wield extraordinary influence: they can pretty much commission their own content.

However reporter, Wes Taylor, is quick to point out how Comic-Con shouldn't be seen just as a celebration of fan-power, but as an adept marketing tool for content creators to 'plant their next big thing indelibly into the collective consciousness of the critical-but-rewarding geek masses'. So who's ideas are invading who? Is it Fans vs Marketers? Does it matter? No, not in my non-fiction world, I see it as a mutually beneficial love-in, in which fans get to at least have a say in what they consume, or as co-creation agency Facegroup advise about fans “let them create it and they will embrace it”. So it seems a win-win situation, well it was until I read about the Guardian in visiting in 2010, they couldn't help noticing that this idea could be back-firing, citing the recent failure of Tron.

It seems the key to making Comic-Con work for you as a producer/promoter, is controlling how much you share of your content and working hard at protecting the most vital thing: the plot. What Comic-Con really owns, is its ability to tease.There is a lot of little show and tells to get you going, which is why for me, a good poster campaign like the one for Red Sonja seems to really work in creating the right amount of fan anticipation. So much so, that it is now time to go back to my own fan- story to rescue my heroine from Barbaric Development Hell, it would make one amazing movie.

No comments: