Thursday 2 August 2007

Psychologies: Refreshing new Brit Mag


A gathering of interesting minds; reflecting on the big and small stuff
Before this magazine came along, I used to buy several magazines a month, some felt like cheap fixes that made me feel guilty afterwards ( Heat, Now ) and then some were fabulous and aspirational and leaving me feeling at bit out of sorts (Vanity Fair, Elle). Psychologies suddenly appeared last year, at first I was slightly put off by the academic title, but once I opened it, it found it to be a  a totally refreshing read. In fact, the interviews they do with celebrities, normally prominent woman, are much more soul-searching, enlightening and real, than any I read in big 'exclusives' with other mags. I really like the way they always look for ways for us to enrich our lives, they come up with practical solutions and ways to cope with the maddening world around us. I ditched buying a lot of the 'aspirational' mags (Grazia still at fav still, despite all the faults I find !) after discovering this, most of my friends love this mag too, and they also want something that talks to them, is comforting and makes them think. It questions the mainstream and taken-for-granted stuff all the time, without running any fashion, or containing tons of beauty adverts, and not many mags do that. I can't recommend it enough: http://www.psychologies.co.uk/